By Nakanishi, Kimiko
This ebook investigates the semantics and syntax-semantics interface of size structures, equivalent to (non-)split quantifiers and comparatives. The cross-linguistic research unearths that likely various buildings may be classified into sessions counting on whether or not they degree nominal or verbal predicates, and exhibits that the type debts for why sure buildings have definite features bearing on distributivity and single-event predicates. in the course of the ebook, specific emphasis is put on problems with compositionality.
Read or Download Formal Properties of Measurement Constructions PDF
Best construction books
The Xplans publication of residence Plans offers a number of apartment plans and blueprints in numerous types together with unmarried storey (bungalows) dormers and storey designs. conventional glossy and modern homes are awarded.
This publication considers a hundred and fifty difficulties that often come up in construction contracts and offers a close clarification as to their solutions. It cites key elements of felony judgements as authority. the hot version comprises a few 50 new difficulties, and revised recommendations to a 3rd of the issues to take account of contemporary case legislation.
Entire, compact and that includes formulation, tables, and diagrams rather than long textual content descriptions, this useful reference can provide job-essential info in a short look-up layout. the recent moment variation has been up to date to incorporate the 2005 nationwide electric Code, new symbols for electric drafting now getting used in CAD drafting, extra insurance of co-axial cable in domestic wiring, and extra on electrical automobiles and controls.
A clean and invigorating contribution to the emergence of a philosophically and culturally proficient archaeology, which demanding situations the disciplinary practices of either conventional and `new' archaeology.
- Low Impact Building: Housing using Renewable Materials
- Project control. Del Pico, CPE : integrating cost and schedule in construction
- CM 46
- Artificial Geographic Features Construction Engineering, Buildings and Structures
- 2015 International Building Code Illustrated Handbook
Additional resources for Formal Properties of Measurement Constructions
John-NOM cable-ACC yesterday three-centimeter buy-PAST OK length, *diameter (18) a. Hans hat [drei Zentimeter Kabel] Hans has [three centimeter cable] OK length, *diameter b. Kabel hat Hans drei Zentimeter cable has Hans three centimeter OK length, *diameter gekauft. bought gekauft. bought Presumably, when the MP three inches combines with cable, we should be able to obtain the following two readings: the reading that the length of cable is three inches and the reading that the diameter of cable is three inches.
43) ∀P ∀x,y∈DS[ [P(x) ∧ P(y)] → P(x∪Sy) ] It has been proposed by Krifka (1986, 1989, 1992, 1998) and pursued by Landman (1996, 2000) that the denotations of all thematic relations are cumulative, which Kratzer (forthcoming) refers to as the Cumulativity Universal. Cumulativity as a property of relations between individuals and events is defined in (44). 17 Let us examine a slightly modified example 17. Strictly speaking, neo-Davidsonian thematic roles are functions (see shortly below). The Cumulativity Universal concerns the denotation of simple predi- Classification in the verbal domain 29 taken from Kratzer (forthcoming): suppose that John dug a hole, Mary placed a tree in the hole, and Bill covered the roots with soil, and that the entire planting-a-tree event is the sum of these three subevents.
When a VP lacks a plural marker, there is no way of telling whether the VP is semantically pluralized by the covert *-operator. Put differently, a VP without a plural marker can always be understood as being semantically pluralized. An exception to this generalization is a telic VP that denotes a singleoccurrence event such as kill Peter: assuming that Peter may die only once, the killing-Peter event can occur only once. That is, the extension of kill 20. Just like mass NPs, minimal parts of atelic VPs are somewhat vague (see Rothstein 2004, for instance).